Re: Rolls-Royce Pratt & Whitney Merge

From:         drakeal@aol.com (Drakeal)
Date:         04 Oct 95 22:57:23

I work at Pratt.  This rumor has been circulating for the last three
years, and is always vehemently denied by top management from both
companies...which makes me think there must be some truth to it.  The
reasons cited for not doing it are: 1) RR is already doing poorly compared
to PW & GE, so there is no reason for UTC add another slack performer when
it already has PW to carry around; and, 2) Governmental regulations on
both sides of the Atlantic tend to restrict the flow of patented
technology between the two business units.  A counterargument would be
that PW would gain significant access to EC markets through association
with RR.  I tend to doubt a merger.