Re: exit door latch

From:         dpbsmith@world.std.com (Daniel P. B. Smith)
Date:         04 Oct 95 22:57:22

Brad Gillies <bradg@io.org> wrote:
>In article <airliners.1995.1495@ohare.Chicago.COM>,
>   "Nicolas E. Murat" <vis@elaine14.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
>>On 12 Sep 1995, Andrew Goldfinger wrote:
>
>The gas is NITROGEN. Harmless you breathe about 80% Nitrogen anyway.
>Besides the cabin air is "Turned over" quite rapidly. So There would
>Be no real Problem.

Not at all harmless, because it is colorless, odorless, and DISPLACES
OXYGEN.  And while you can tell the presence of CO2 because it makes
you feel like you are suffocating, you CANNOT DETECT the absence of
oxygen--you just feel drunk and pass out.  I think oil tankers use
nitrogen to fill the dead space in the tanks (to prevent combustion) and
that workers die from time to time by accidentally unknowingly entering
nitrogen-filled spaces.  It is similar to the danger of Halon fire
extinguishers.  I don't know if the quantity of nitrogen needed to fill
a slide could displace enough cabin air for long enough to be dangerous,
but on the face of it, there could potentially be a problem.

I wonder if discharging lots of nitrogen into a cabin would trigger the
release of the oxygen masks?

--
Daniel P. B. Smith
dpbsmith@world.std.com