weight calculation

From:         lindenal@thuban.crd.ge.com (Alexander Linden)
Date:         04 Oct 95 22:52:31

In order to model aircraft/engine performance, I am thinking of a new
weight calculation scheme for jet airliners.

Currently there seem at least three methods in use:

A) take number of passengers and multiply this with a factor
   of 200 pounds accounting for body weight and carry-on luggage.
B) take number of passengers and multiply this with a factor
   of 170 pounds and count the number of carry-on bags and multiply
   this with 23.4 pounds. Add both numbers together.
C) measure the pressure on the hydraulic shock absorbers which increases
   linear with weight.

Do you know other methods?
Do you have experience with the accuracy of those methods?

I mean, it is really not that important to know exactly the weight in
lbs. but an accurate numerical quantification would be great for
various thinks, eg. fuel consumption.k

regards

-- Alexander

--