Twinjet single-engine performance question

From:         Jon Wright <jwright@blarg1.blarg.com>
Date:         04 Oct 95 22:52:29

I had a question concerning a recent thread about ETOPS that was
in misc.transport.air-industry.  I understand a twin has to be able to
take off and fly on a single engine and therefore under normal
conditions (with both engines)it is way overpowered.

How overpowered are we talking?  Could a twin with a typical payload
and on a typical runway start its roll and take off on a single engine?
Or do the designers only worry about engine failures on the "wrong"
side of V-1?

And has the extent of overpoweredness been consistent over time?  That
is, do the early twins have the same relative single-engine performance
as contemporary planes?

Jon Wright              jwright@blarg.com        voice 206-635-0338
                                                   fax 206-635-0339
I'm a potato and I'm so hip