Re: Fuel tank safety mech.(question)

From:         jliebson@roadrunner.com (John Liebson)
Date:         04 Oct 95 22:52:29

misc1666@csc.canterbury.ac.nz wrote:

>Considering the possibility of fuel tanks exploding in emergency landings etc.
>Is it conceivable that they could pump foam into the fuel tanks before the
>plane hit the ground.

My background is structural firefighting, not aircraft, so I'm no
expert on the subject. That said, I will state that the idea has been
considered, even tested; basic result is that the added weight of foam
and equipment, the danger of a falsely-triggered system,  the fact
that foam does not really work by simply pumping it into the fuel
tanks, etc., all work against your idea.