Re: Concorde

From:         darsys@pro-entropy.cts.com (Eric A. Seiden)
Date:         04 Oct 95 22:52:27

kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) writes:

>>Concord stretches at speeds past mach 1. Can anyone elucidate on this.
>>Why does it happen or does it happen?
>As I recall, it stretches roughly 12-18 inches at supersonic cruise.
>This is a result of the high heat, itself caused by air friction.
>Just as the metals in a thermostat expand and contract with changes
>in temperature, Concorde's fuselage expands with heat and contracts
>when it cools.

This is correct. It stretches about 12 inches during high-altitude flight due
to air friction. This figure is mentioned in the book one can find in
Concorde's check in lounge if you're a passenger. This extreme metal stress is
why Concorde's life expectancy is nearing its end. Originally planned to die
just about now, new metals technology has enabled modifications to extend the
life of Concorde until 2003. By then Concorde will not be safe for flight and
unless Boeing/Airbus care to make Concorde2 or somesuch that will be the end
of modern supersonic travel.

(Try it. It's worth every cent.)

                -- E

==
Internet: darsys@Pro-Entropy.cts.com             ("Real" Name: Eric A. Seiden)
RSH Contact for NHL Florida Panthers & Admin NHL Florida Panthers Mailing List