Re: Ansett "fixes" its 767s

From:         jtalbot@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Justin Talbot-Stern)
Date:         04 Oct 95 21:27:26
Followups:    1 2 3

>Saw a small article in one of the most recent issues of Flight
>International that said that Ansett is to convert its odd-ball
>3-pilot 767s into 2-pilot 767s.

I had the opportunity to work in Ansett's Engineering department during my
summer holidays and spent a lot of time in their 767-200 cockpits performing
CRT diagnostic tests and FMS data uploads.

As for Ansett being the only airline in the world to operate three crew 767, I
think this is wrong.  Last January, Ansett took delivery of an additional
used 767-200 from Britannia Airways and I think it was a three crew aircraft
as well.  However, the 767's they're thinking of acquiring over the next few
years have the standard two-pilot cockpits.

I also had the chance to sit in the cockpit for a 767 flight and it seemed
that the Flight Engineer was paid ~$80,000 to basically pass the food from the
flight attendants to the pilots, and got the best view in the house!

Justin Talbot-Stern
http://www.usyd.edu.au/~jtalbot/