Re: EMI levels possible due to airborne military jammers?

From:         Jennings Heilig <jheilig@gate.net>
Date:         28 Sep 95 03:52:46

Having been in the EW business once up on a time in a former life, I can
pretty well put a categorical "no" to your question up as a one-word
answer.  First, the likelihood of any type of EW aircraft "lighting up"
anywhere near a civilian airliner is *extrememly* remote.  This is
usually only done for a specific purpose (i.e. and exercise), and these
are usually well away from other aircraft, population centers, etc.

Second, EW aircraft jam very specific frequency bands.  For many and
various reasons, it's not wise practice to go around jamming the whole EM
frequency spectrum (which is what you'd have to do to affect something
like a FADEC system).  One of the things an EW aircraft doesn't want to
do is give it's secrets away.  You jam a specific frequency at a specific
time for a specific reason.  Not to say that they *couldn't* jam
everything from DC to Daylight as we used to say, but you just don't do it.

Theoretically, it might be possible for an EW airplane to jam something
like a FADEC system inadvertently, but the circumstances would have to be
so far out of the norm it's hard to imagine how it could happen.

Cheers,

Jennings Heilig