Re: Where did all the air vents go?

From:         bradg@io.org (Brad Gillies)
Date:         28 Sep 95 03:52:42

   Steve Lacker <slacker@arlut.utexas.edu> wrote:
>Question: a certain amount of airflow is absolutely necessary to maintain
>passenger comfort. In my experience, the more the better- I find that
>older "leakier" airliners are less likely to give me burning eyes and a
>headache than newer tighter ships. If an airline chooses to delete the
>individual vents, where is all that airflow re-directed? Please tell me
>that overall fresh airflow isn't just reduced further still.

Actually the turnover of air in a modern airliner is quite rapid. THe
entire volume of air in a wide body aircraft is replaced about every 10
minutes. Thats alot of airflow. There is also a recirculation system
which filters the air within the aircraft. But I still like those
little eyeballs.

--
Brad Gillies    Bradg@io.org
http://www.io.org/~bradg/