Re: exit door latch

From:         dswanson@gulfaero.com (Davin Swanson)
Date:         22 Sep 95 00:18:33

Ed Bogart <e.h.bogart@larc.nasa.gov> wrote:
>In article <airliners.1995.1438@ohare.Chicago.COM>, kenpac@ix.netcom.com
>(J. Kenneth E ) wrote:
>> Still no need to worry Brandon. ALL airliner doors are plug type,
>> meaning that they must be pulled inside somewhat prior to swinging
>> outward. It just appears that they swing open freely.
>
>If I'm not mistaken, the 777 does NOT have plug doors.  I don't have a clue
>how the latches work but I would geuss someone has thought about the "opening
>in flight" problem.

AFAIK, most non-plug type swing-open doors are secured by pins that extend
from the door into the frame when the door is closed.  Closing the door
latch extends the pins into a locked position, and opening the latch retracts
the pins back into the door in order to allow it to open.

--davin

--
Davin Swanson
dswanson@mickey.eng.gulfaero.com