Question: Cabin environment on long haul flights

From:         leishman@hellcat.eng.umd.edu. (leishman)
Date:         22 Sep 95 00:18:32
Followups:    1 2 3 4

After a recent transatlatic flight on American airlines, my brother
related a rather alarming experience. The cabin temperature on the
MD-11 was maintained way too high (estimated in excess of 85F), and
despite many complaints from passengers, the crew did absolutely
nothing until 1-hour out from London, where they finally turned on the
air cooling. In addition, many passengers experinenced dizziness, light
headiness and naucea. I've been hearing that on eastbound transatlantic
overnight flights some airlines deliberately elevate cabin temparatures
to make passengers sleep (parhaps this reduces cabin staff workload?),
and also reduce oxygen flow in the cabin to save money. Is this really
a common practice among airlines? Any comments sure would be
appreciated.

gordon(leishman@eng.umd.edu)