757 engine (fan?) noise during freewheel

From:         hjl@thelaws.demon.co.uk (Henry Law)
Date:         22 Sep 95 00:18:29
Followups:    1 2 3 4 5

Frequently when boarding a BA 757 (RR engines) by steps rather than
through an air bridge I hear a distinct metallic clanking from the
engine closest to me, which is nearly always still freewheeling from the
previous sector.  It's regular, but with gaps - rather like the sort of
noise you'd make by rattling something metal along some iron railings.
I've heard it in these circumstances for years so it's obviously not
what it sounds like (which is the fan blades hitting the cowling! :-)
but I've always wondered what it was.  Can one of our 757 jockeys
enlighten me?

--
Henry Law             <><      hjl@thelaws.demon.co.uk
Manchester, England