Re: exit door latch

From:         "Nicolas E. Murat" <vis@elaine14.Stanford.EDU>
Date:         18 Sep 95 12:07:08

On 12 Sep 1995, Andrew Goldfinger wrote:

> In article <airliners.1995.1439@ohare.Chicago.COM> Nicolas Ercan Murat,
> vis@amy29.Stanford.EDU writes:
> >This was proven when an evacuation slide on an PIA A310 decided to
> >inflate during flight ...
>
> >The end of the story was that an on-board mechanic ran back and gave
> >a big stab with his screwdriver and punctured the slide.
>
> What gas is used to inflate the slides?  If it is CO2, was it safe to
> puncture the slide and release the gas into the cabin?  (This question
> arose in my mind since I am now reading "Lost Moon" by Lovell about Apollo
> 13, and they had a problem with a life vest inflating.  They were very
> careful to vent the CO2 into space rather than release it into the cabin).

The slide inflation is activated by a small gas bottle. I am unfortunately
not certain of what the gas is.

However, the gas dispensed by the bottle is small in comparison to the
amount of air required in the slide.  The main inflation is done through
"aspirators" which suck in air when the slide is deployed, so the gas bottles
are in effect only there to kick in the system and are too small to fill
the whole slide anyway.

In any case, I do not think that CO2 dispension into the cabin does has
the same consequences as in a space craft... Also, as an aside, I would like
to note how complex the slide/rafts on commercial aircraft are complex.  They
are one of the systems (ATA 25-62) with the most complications during
maintenance and in design itself.

-Nick
Cabin Interior & Payload Systems