Re: Where did all the air vents go?

From:         Steve Lacker <slacker@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date:         18 Sep 95 12:06:53

Martin Fiddler <entmlf@staffs.ac.uk> wrote:

>When I fly on  older aircraft, there is invariably an individual air vent
>for each passenger.  These supply a welcoming blast of cool air, but
>if not wanted they can obviously be turned off.  Great.
>
>The more modern aircraft I've been on, including B747-400, B757-200,
>A320, etc, do not have these.   This seems a reall pity, as I find they
>provide much greater comfort and control of ones own envioronment.

I regularly fly Delta 757's (now my favorite aircraft, since the good old
727-200's are getting more and more scarce) and they definitely have the
standard air vents. I usually find the air vents on widebodies (of all
makes) to be nearly useless since they are so far overhead, but I can't
think of a single modern narrow-body that I've flown on that doesn't have
individual air-vents. Perhaps its just differences in how each airline
chooses to equip their planes.

Question: a certain amount of airflow is absolutely necessary to maintain
passenger comfort. In my experience, the more the better- I find that
older "leakier" airliners are less likely to give me burning eyes and a
headache than newer tighter ships. If an airline chooses to delete the
individual vents, where is all that airflow re-directed? Please tell me
that overall fresh airflow isn't just reduced further still.

--
Steve Lacker	/	Applied Research Laboratories, The University of Texas
512-835-3286	/	PO Box 8029, Austin TX 78713-8029