Re: Where did all the air vents go?

From:         bradg@io.org (Brad Gillies)
Date:         18 Sep 95 12:06:51

   Martin Fiddler <entmlf@staffs.ac.uk> wrote:

>When I fly on  older aircraft, there is invariably an individual air vent
>for each passenger.  These supply a welcoming blast of cool air, but
>if not wanted they can obviously be turned off.  Great.
>
>The more modern aircraft I've been on, including B747-400, B757-200,
>A320, etc, do not have these.   This seems a reall pity, as I find they
>provide much greater comfort and control of ones own envioronment.

These vents are for what is termed "Gasper Air". Its main purpose was to
alleviate claustrophobic (sp?) feelings in passengers. Since the cabins
of newer and more spacious they are not needed as much.  They should still
be used because I have never been on a flight (and I've been on alot)
where the cabin temp has actually been comfortable for me. it's always
either too hot (usually) or too cold. These gasper vents are great when
it's too warm.

--
Brad Gillies    Bradg@io.org
http://www.io.org/~bradg/