Re: A positive aspect of the DC-10?

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         06 Feb 95 03:15:49

Robert Ashcroft wrote:
>I'd like to hear more about this aspect of the DC-10.

Several of the comments in the original article just don't make sense,
though maybe there is something to the story.

Lourdes Alvarez wrote:
>Don't be nervous...one of the positive features of the DC-10 is its
>ability to lift off with less runway than necessary.

Is this some new definition of "necessary?"  Ignoring engine-out
and rejected takeoff considerations, it seems to me that the amount
of runway that's necessary is the amount needed to get off the
ground.  It doesn't make any sense to say that any aircraft can get
off the ground with less runway than it needs to get off the ground!

>P.S. St. Thomas, V.A. has a much shorter runway and they used to take
>707s as well has DC10s and L1011s (still do)

Sure, but from St. Thomas you're probably talking (relatively) short
flights in such planes, to cities on the east coast of the US or the
like.  Maui to San Francisco is a *long* flight, which means more
fuel, which means more weight, which means a longer runway is needed.

>From San Jose, American has no problem flying DC-10s across the US.
Same airport, same runway, a DC-10-30 with a full load to Tokyo does
not have enough runway, so American flew across the bay to Oakland,
which has a longer runway, to take on fuel.  Once they got their
MD-11s into service they could fly non-stop because of the MD-11s
better performance, hence shorter runway requirement.

With regard to the original poster's question, I've never heard of
United pulling a stunt like American's pseudo-non-stop on a regular
basis, and UA 48 is listed as an OGG-SFO non-stop without enough
time in the schedule for such foolishness, so I'd guess they do have
enough runway at Maui to get a full load on its way to California.

--
Karl Swartz	|INet	kls@ohare.chicago.com
1-415/854-3409	|UUCP	uunet!decwrl!ditka!kls