Re: Exit capacity

From:         D.P.Rhodes@lut.ac.uk (Darren Rhodes)
Date:         12 Sep 95 20:18:53

John Carr <jfc@mit.edu> wrote:
> In article <airliners.1995.1420@ohare.Chicago.COM>,
> Darren Rhodes <D.P.Rhodes@lut.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> >A340-200
> >Max capacity (exit limited): 440
>
> Do exit limits vary amoung countries according to the policies of
> regulatory agencies or are they standard?

Exit limits are defined by Federal Airworthiness Regulations (USA) (FAR Part
25 for civil aircraft) and the Joint Airworthiness Regulations (Europe) (JAR
Part 25 for civil aircraft). All major civil aircraft must be certified for
either or often both. I think the Boeing 777 was the first to be certified for
both simultaneously. The regulations have been drawn up after several of
evacuation demonstrations. The rules differ for below and above 299 seats.
Basically above 299 seats you can use Type A and Type I doors. Each pair of
type A doors allows 110 seats, each pair of type I 45 seats. Hence in the case
of the Airbus 330/340 and Boeing 777 they have 4 pairs of type A doors giving
a maximum of 440 seats. Below 299 seats becomes for complex due to the number
of door types available.

Hope that answered the question!
--
Mr. Darren P. Rhodes        | Dept. of Aeronautical & Automotive Engineering
tel: [+44] 01509 223454     | & Transport Studies