Re: Auto rejected take-off on 767?

From:         me@remain.com (Michael Ehrlich)
Date:         12 Sep 95 02:44:30

In article <airliners.1995.1351@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Martin Fiddler
<entmlf@staffs.ac.uk> wrote:

> A couple of years ago, I was on the flight deck of a 767 and the captain
> told me that to assist a rejected take-off, if the throttles were retarded
> during the take-off roll, after being at 'full' (toga) power, then there
> was an automatic process which would (a) deploy the spoilers (b) deploy
> the thrust reversers (I guess with auto-throttle setting rev thrust power)
> and (c) apply max auto-brakes.
>
> Since then I have been on other 767's and the crew all state that their
> aircraft doesn't have this system, and also that they have never heard of
> it!
>
> So, did I imagine this conversation with the crew, were they making it
> up, or is it a rare option on the 767?

Hello,

This answer comes from a crew qualified on the 767 at _one_ american air
carrier. Of course we cannot speak for all Boeing options; however, on our
fleet the autobrakes do have an RTO (Rejected TakeOff) function which will
apply maximum braking whenever throttles are retarded once airspeed is
above 80 knots. When reverse thrust levers are moved up into interlock the
spoilers will also deploy. Therefore, all one need do is retard throttles
to initiate braking and select reverse thrust to deploy spoilers. Keeping
it on the runway at this point is also considered good form. Reverse
thrust is _not_ selected automatically.

mike

me@remain.com