Where did all the air vents go?

From:         Martin Fiddler <entmlf@staffs.ac.uk>
Date:         12 Sep 95 02:44:30
Followups:    1 2 3 4

When I fly on  older aircraft, there is invariably an individual air vent
for each passenger.  These supply a welcoming blast of cool air, but
if not wanted they can obviously be turned off.  Great.

The more modern aircraft I've been on, including B747-400, B757-200,
A320, etc, do not have these.   This seems a reall pity, as I find they
provide much greater comfort and control of ones own envioronment.

So, why don't modern aircraft have individual air vents any more?  Is it
because it saves fuel to have less bleed air from the engine, or because
it is assumed that more modern aircraft have better temperature management
in the passenger cabin?  Surely the modern high-bypass engines can more easily
'spare' a little air for the vents? Am I the only one who mourns their passing?

M.fiddler@staffs.ac.uk