Re: Did the Chinese ever attempt to copy the 707?

From:         mps1@cec.wustl.edu (Mihir Pramod Shah)
Date:         11 Sep 95 21:27:28

Steven Grunblatt  <nnygrb@ubss.com> wrote:
>I recall reading somewhere that in the 1970s the Chinese government
>purchased 2 Boeing 707s. After delivery,Boeing lost track of the
>aircraft's whereabouts. It was speculated that the aircraft were
>dismantled, and unsuccessfully copied.

Well, according to the "Chronicle of Aviation", a 980+ page book on the history
of commerical, general, and military flight, the Chinese did build their first
jetliner in 1980.  It was a narrow-body 4-engines-under-the-wing airplane that
looked VERY MUCH like a 707.  Here's the caption under the picture of the plane:

"Similar in appearance to the Boeing 707, the Shanghai Y-10 was China's first
indigenous get airliner, but the design was an anachronism in 1950's style."

Now, whether this design was based on the dismantled 707's, I don't know for
sure, but it obviously wouldn't surprise me after looking at the picture and
caption.

Mihir

--
Mihir Pramod Shah		Email:  mps1@cec.wustl.edu
Washington University           Phone:  (314) 935-1118