Re: Did the Chinese ever attempt to copy the 707?

From:         rickydik@ix.netcom.com (Ralph Ricks )
Date:         11 Sep 95 21:27:28

In <airliners.1995.1428@ohare.Chicago.COM> Steven Grunblatt
<nnygrb@ubss.com> writes:
>I recall reading somewhere that in the 1970s the Chinese government
>purchased 2 Boeing 707s. After delivery,Boeing lost track of the
>aircraft's whereabouts. It was speculated that the aircraft were
>dismantled, and unsuccessfully copied.

Yes, there was mention, and pictures, in AvWeek a number of times.
They even copied the radios, piece by piece.
A colleague of mine was on an early US aviation tour of China in about
1976, and lifted a drape off a work table, and saw a Collins HF
transceiver, of the type in the 707, being copied.  The Chinese guides
became very upset.  He also got to visit with the US ambassador at the
time, George Bush.
Ralph