Re: Dutch Roll

From: (Merlin Dorfman)
Organization: NETCOM On-line Communication Services (408 261-4700 guest)
Date:         11 Sep 95 21:27:27 
References:   1
Followups:    1 2
Next article
View raw article
  or MIME structure

Andrew Goldfinger ( wrote:
: I know that Dutch roll is a coupled yaw and roll oscillation that occurs
: in swept wing aircraft.

: What I don't know is why it is called "Dutch" roll.  Does anyone know the
: origin of the term?

     Several centuries ago when I was an undergraduate in the Aeronautical
Engineering department at MIT, the professor who taught the introductory
aaircraft stability and control course (name available on request) said
that the name Dutch Roll is used because the motion of the aircraft seems
similar to that of an ice skater slowly gliding down the frozen canals of
the Netherlands.
     I was not aware that the motion occurs only on swept wing aircraft.
                                               Merlin Dorfman