Re: exit door latch

From:         kenpac@ix.netcom.com (J. Kenneth E )
Date:         11 Sep 95 21:27:26

In <airliners.1995.1407@ohare.Chicago.COM> bwalts@darkwing.uoregon.edu
(Brandon M Walts) writes:

>On a related note, what's the case with outward-opening doors, like
>the kind on Airbus aircraft, airstair doors, etc.?  On a couple of
>occasions, while flying on A300s, the rear galley/lavatory area
>turned into a makeshift bar and gathering spot, often with people
>standing inches from the door handles.  I was personally worried by
>this, and wondered if there was something that kept doors of this
>type from being opened in flight.

Still no need to worry Brandon. ALL airliner doors are plug type,
meaning that they must be pulled inside somewhat prior to swinging
outward. It just appears that they swing open freely. So unless
somebody standing there can pull a door open that has the equivalent of
4 tons pushing against it you are perfectly safe.
Ken