707 loses two engines

From:         tristar500@aol.com (TriStar500)
Date:         10 Sep 95 13:26:30

There was a message posted recently that mentioned a LH 707 that lost two
engines while recovering from a dive/roll.

This reminded me of an old FAA (maybe CAA?) film that discussed loss of
control in early DC-8s and B-707s that was attributed to the horizontal
stablizer not being trimmed properly when the airplane encountered
turbulence. The film included a Northwest captain that explained the
problem and some 'Clutch Cargo' style animations showing airplanes diving
and engines departing the airframe.

I believe that the stab being improperly trimmed caused the elevator to
lose effectiveness.

Any aerodynamic/flight control types out there that could refresh my
memory on this?

Dave