Re: re: Cabin pressure controls

From:         "Robert D. Seals" <rob@csc.albany.edu>
Date:         08 Sep 95 02:35:33

I have no idea whether pressurization methods are different or
better or worse on various planes. However, I do know that "ear
block" and "sinus block" are well known results of upper respiratory
infections and nasal allergic reactions.

Normally, small openings inside the head (like the eustachian tube)
allow fluids to pass back and forth to allow the pressure to
equalize with cabin pressure. When you get some kinds of infections,
maybe a cold, the tubes swell to the point that the fluids cannot pass.
The result is unbelievable pain.

I thought there was something wrong with the cabin
pressure on one flight I was on, until I realized (months later) what
had actually happened: I was sick with a cold, and I got sinus block.
I read about this in the Cessna "Pilot Safety and Warning Supplements"
that my brother-in-law gave me.

So, maybe some planes have pressure problems, or maybe you are prone to
colds.

rob