Re: exit door latch

From:         bwalts@darkwing.uoregon.edu (Brandon M Walts)
Date:         08 Sep 95 02:35:32

Tony Blades  <tonyB@seavixen.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>There are no locks on any doors or hatches, the only thing that prevents
>someone opening a hatch in flight is cabin pressure.  A 2' x 4' overwing
>exit hatch has around 8 lbs/sq in holding it closed, and that translates
>to over 4 tons!  I don't know of anyone strong enough to move that sort
>of weight.  Once the aircraft is depressurised after it leaves the runway
>after landing, the hatch could then be opened as the pressure on either
>side has been equalised.

On a related note, what's the case with outward-opening doors, like
the kind on Airbus aircraft, airstair doors, etc.?  On a couple of
occasions, while flying on A300s, the rear galley/lavatory area
turned into a makeshift bar and gathering spot, often with people
standing inches from the door handles.  I was personally worried by
this, and wondered if there was something that kept doors of this
type from being opened in flight.