Re: thoughts on the A330

From:         chuanga@iia2.org (H Andrew Chuang)
Date:         07 Sep 95 02:49:27

In article <42klr4$cg1@minerva.worldbank.org>,
spagiola  <spagiola@worldbank.org> wrote:

>Question: at the time both the A310 and the 767 were entering service
>(1982-83), Airbus made much of the fact that the A310 could carry two
>standard LD3 freight containers side by side while the 767 could not.
>Did this actually prove at all significant in practice?

When KLM ordered the B767 to replace the A310, it was mentioned that
the demand for air cargo in the intra-European markets had dropped.
Thus, the B767 would be the more appropriate aircraft for KLM's current
need.  I would infer that KLM actually did prefer the larger cargo
hold of the A310 back in the 80s.

Most East Asian carriers and European carriers rely on cargo revenue
much more than US carriers do.  Therefore, I don't think it's a
coincidence that the 767 is very popular among American carriers, while
the A300/310 is popular among East Asian and European carriers.

--
  H Andrew Chuang   chuanga@iia2.org