Re: B737 on gravel Runway

From:         jliebson@roadrunner.com (John Liebson)
Date:         06 Sep 95 01:04:08

lmcsdes@lmc.ericsson.com (Stephane Desjardins) wrote:

>Canadian Airlines offers B737 service to small villages in Northern
>Canada and it seems they use dedicated aircrafts for these routes.
>There is some sort of fender over the nose wheel and the engine intakes
>look different. I was told that it might be to prevent damage to the engine
>from the gravel runway bouncing at take off and landing.

"A new feature developed for the 737-200 was a gravel runway kit. A
gravel deflector plate was added behind the nosewheel, remaining
outside the fuselage when the undercarriage was retracted. A small
tube projecting forward from the bottom of each nacelle directs blast
air ahead of the nacelle to break up the inward-rushing vortices that
can suck gravel from the ground and force it into the jet intakes."

Bowers, _Boeing Aircraft Since 1916_, p. 497