Re: Slats

From:         rdd@netcom.com (Robert Dorsett)
Date:         06 Sep 95 01:04:06

In article <airliners.1995.1363@ohare.Chicago.COM> warrior@uclink.berkeley.edu (Gong Kong) writes:

>Hi you all!
>
>Just a simple question for all you experts out there: what are the slats
>for? I know they are extended during takeoff but are they also extended
>during landing?
>
>Thanks in advance!

Slats are used to adjust the camber of the wing, and provide better lift
characteristics during slow-speed flight.

On Boeing aircraft, slats are automatically deployed based on trailing edge
flap position.  On the 727, for instance, there are eight slats.  All
of the slats are deployed whenever the TE flaps are set to 5 degrees or
higher.

The hardware does not distinguish between takeoff or landing.

                                       ftp://wilbur.pr.erau.edu/pub/av