Re: thoughts on the A330

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         06 Sep 95 01:04:05

>> Actually, by the late 1970s Airbus had made some very significant
>> inroads in the Pacific rim ... This was a small share of the overall
>> market, but a significant one for that category of aircraft (100% of
>> it, if youdefine the category as "widebody twins" :-), less if you
>> include the competing DC-10s and TriStars).

>I believe the B767 is also a widebody twin, hence, it's not 100% of
>the market.

It depends on exactly how you define "the late 1970s" since the 767
was not even launched until the second half of 1978.  Before then,
yes, Airbus had 100% of the "widebody twin" market, though that's no
more meaningful than saying that Boeing has 100% of the 747 market.

>Airbus clearly outscored Boeing in the Pacific Rim market in
>the A300/310 vs. B767-200/300 battle.

That is interesting, especially compared to the 767's dominant share
of the North Atlantic market.  At a guess, the greater size of the
A300 plus a head start kept Airbus in the lead in Asia, where range
was not that great an issue.  Greater range of later models, early
ETOPS, and probably lower operating costs (due to the narrower fuse-
lage) gave the 767 the edge in the North Atlantic market, which the
767 pioneered as far as twins are concerned.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com