Re: thoughts on the A330

From:         chuanga@iia2.org (H Andrew Chuang)
Date:         06 Sep 95 01:04:05

In article <42hj2s$ag2@minerva.worldbank.org>, spagiola (spagiola@bedlam.worldba
nk.org) wrote:

> Actually, by the late 1970s Airbus had made some very significant
> inroads in the Pacific rim with orders from Thai, Korean, China
> Airlines, Philippine Airlines, Singapore, Malaysia Air System, Toa
> Domestic (and, also on the "silk route", Indian and Pakistan
> International).  Allfor A300s.  This was a small share of the overall
> market, but a significant one for that category of aircraft (100% of
> it, if youdefine the category as "widebody twins" :-), less if you
> include the competing DC-10s and TriStars).

I believe the B767 is also a widebody twin, hence, it's not 100% of the
market.  JAL, ANA, and China Airlines all had orders of the B767 (you
included Toa, then JAL and ANA should be counted).  Also, I don't
consider the Pacific Rim A300 fleet to be insignificant.  I believe the
Asain A300/310 fleet account for 35% strong of all the A300/310 in
service.  Airbus clearly outscored Boeing in the Pacific Rim market in
the A300/310 vs. B767-200/300 battle.  (Airbus also captured the majority
of the Middle East market.)  In Asia, Boeing's wide-body twin is almost
non-existent outside Japan (and Australasia).  I think that's why the
A330 was able to secure many orders from the Pacific Rim airlines,
initially.  However, this time I think Boeing has finally turned the tide.
The B777 is definitely picking up steam in the Pacific Rim with seven
committed customers (JAL, ANA, JAS, KAL, China Southern, CPA, THAI) and
three customers with letters of intent (CAL, EVA, and Air China) with
a total of 68 aircraft plus 43 unsigned firm orders; while the A330 has
only six customers (KAL, CPA, DragonAir, THAI, MAS, and Garuda) and a
total order of 45 aircraft (which include 3 that Garuda allegedly have
cancelled).

Just a nitpicking: It's Malaysian Airline System (but Malaysia Airlines)
                                ^
--
  H Andrew Chuang   chuanga@iia2.org