Re: B737 on gravel Runway

From:         jurgens@eskimo.com (Peter Jurgens)
Date:         05 Sep 95 01:59:59

   lmcsdes@lmc.ericsson.com (Stephane Desjardins) wrote:
>Canadian Airlines offers B737 service to small villages in Northern
>Canada and it seems they use dedicated aircrafts for these routes.
>There is some sort of fender over the nose wheel and the engine intakes
>look different. I was told that it might be to prevent damage to the engine
>from the gravel runway bouncing at take off and landing.
>
>Can anyone give me more information on those modified aircrafts? Is
>that a special kit made by Boeing? How much does it cost to equip a B737
>like this? How many B737 are equiped? Any other types of aircraft?

To my knowledge the gravel kit is not available for current generation
737's.  The CFM inlet sits only about 18" off the runway making it an
exceptional vacuum cleaner.

The gravel kit consisted of a deflector above the nosewheel and a nozzel
that extended in front and below each engine inlet. High pressure bleed
air was shot out the nozzel to deflect dirt away from the inlet.

I've seen a flight test video where a 737 makes a landing on a dirt runway
and then uses the thrust reversers to slow down. Very impressive. You
couldn't hardly see anything aft of the engines, just a boiling wall of
dirt.

--
Peter A. Jurgens
  eskimo.com