Re: exit door latch

From:         rdd@netcom.com (Robert Dorsett)
Date:         05 Sep 95 01:59:59

In article <airliners.1995.1338@ohare.Chicago.COM> Ken Shainker <msmopr01.kshain01@eds.com> writes:
>This past week I was flying on an unnamed airline in a 727-200.  I was
>sitting in an exit row and noticed before takeoff that the emergency exit
>door latch was partially open.  I told the flight attendent and she
>pushed it closed and didn't seem to worried about it.  Should she have
>been worried about it? (I know it concerned me!)  Also, what keeps some
>unstable person on an exit row from pulling it open because they want
>some fresh air?  Do these doors lock when the pilot announces something
>like 'check doors and cross check'?

There is no locking mechanism.  The doors are held shut by a pressure
differential.  At altitude, the pressure differential will be about 8 psi,
which means that for a two square foot area, you're looking at 2400 lbs of
pressure holding it in.

While David Letterman, who has the strength of ten men, would not have much
trouble with this, most of us would.

The "check doors" announcement is intended to alert the cabin staff to
ensure the doors are set for automatic slide deployment.  There's no lock
on the doors, either.

                                       ftp://wilbur.pr.erau.edu/pub/av