sci.aeronautics.airliners WWW pages!

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         05 Sep 95 01:59:55

A newsgroup having a WWW home page sounds a bit incongruous, but my
dog has one so why not?  :-)

Incongruous or not, sci.aeronautics.airliners now has its very own
home page on the WWW:

    http://www.chicago.com/airliners/

Here's a brief table of contents:

    Newsgroup Charter
    Other Information About the Group
    Reference Data and Links
    Related WWW Pages

Some of the reference info is newly compiled, some of it is simply
links to pages elsewhere which you may have already seen.  Hopefully
it's a useful compendium already, though more data is on the way.

One item which may not jump out right away is that archives of the
newsgroup, in addition to being available in quarterly chunks via
anonymous ftp as they have been for some time, can now be searched,
using a WWW interface to a WAIS index.  (Direct WAIS access is not
available yet.)  This is still undergoing some development, but it
works and in testing has already proven itself very useful.  Alas,
I've always found it takes a bit of care and forethought to pry a
useful response out of WAIS, so be patient if you try it and find
it gives you awful results.  I've looked for a good tutorial on how
to best formulate WAIS queries without success -- if anyone can give
me a reference to such a document I'd greatly appreciate it.  In liu
of that, I included a few examples that should get you started.

If you just want to download the archives via ftp, they are now
available from:

    ftp.chicago.com	(in /chicago/airliners)
    ftp.kei.com		(in /pub/airliners)

--