B737 on gravel Runway

From:         lmcsdes@lmc.ericsson.com (Stephane Desjardins)
Date:         03 Sep 95 22:53:05
Followups:    1 2 3

Canadian Airlines offers B737 service to small villages in Northern
Canada and it seems they use dedicated aircrafts for these routes.
There is some sort of fender over the nose wheel and the engine intakes
look different. I was told that it might be to prevent damage to the engine
from the gravel runway bouncing at take off and landing.

Can anyone give me more information on those modified aircrafts? Is
that a special kit made by Boeing? How much does it cost to equip a B737
like this? How many B737 are equiped? Any other types of aircraft?

Thanks for any info you can provide
Stef