Re: ATC on passengers' headsets

From:         shafer@ferhino.dfrc.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer)
Date:         30 Aug 95 14:12:50

On 27 Aug 95 14:37:18 , kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) said:

Karl> Shuttle flights almost invariably have it on before I even ask.
Karl> I almost always ask, and I'd say about half the time it's either
Karl> on or they'll turn it on.  If not, sometimes it's a curt "no" or
Karl> "we don't do that."

I've had tremendous success with sending my business card to the
cockpit with a polite request for ATC on channel 9.  When it doesn't
work, I usually get an extremely nice explanation.  Maybe the NASA
logo impresses them or maybe I've just run into nice captains.

I've had the most trouble on the Airbus A320s, as it seems to work
very poorly when it works at all--the volume is way too low, as a
rule, but turning it up invites a ruptured eardrum when Captain
Speaking points out a landmark.  I chatted with a deadheading first
officer about this once and he said that he thought that Airbus just
didn't understand and sort of added a jury-rigged system that has
given United a lot of trouble.

--
Mary Shafer                                             DoD #362 KotFR
SR-71 Chief Engineer   NASA Dryden Flight Research Center, Edwards, CA