ATC on Airline Headsets

From:         Jeff Tomasin <jtomasin@earthlink.net>
Date:         30 Aug 95 14:12:48

In article <airliners.1995.1283@ohare.Chicago.COM> hjl@thelaws.demon.co.uk (Henr
y Law) writes:
>I'd appreciate watching a discussion among the more informed and
>professional members of this group along the lines of:

>1. What is the prevailing attitude among the airlines to allowing
>   passengers to listen to ATC?  I can't believe that it is a security
>   exposure, given the prevalence of air band radios on the ground.
>2. What do pilots themselves think?

I asked an American Airlines DC-10 crew about the disappearance
of ATC broadcasts on the aircraft entertainment system. They
mentioned cases where passengers questioned flight attendants
about events that were occuring on broadcasts or becoming
alarmed at something they perceived to be dangerous.

One poster asked about the possibility of receiving ATC broadcasts
with a handheld receiver while seated in the passenger compartment.
The only location where reception is possible is next to the window
and the antenna must be pressed against the window. Otherwise the
signal will be too weak.  Legally, this is not permitted due to
possible RF radiating from the receiver and interferring with
the aircraft's radio/navigation system.

JT