Re: thoughts on the A330

From:         chuanga@iia2.org (H Andrew Chuang)
Date:         30 Aug 95 14:12:48

FMCDave <fmcdave@aol.com> wrote:

>I was at a Pacific Rim airline talking to their fleet
>captains about an upgrade to the 747-400.  During a break I asked some of
>them how their newly ordered (but not delivered) A330s were going to fit
>into their fleet picture.  They were somewhat concerned because of the
>speed they were going to have to fly the airplanes.  According to them,
>the A330 and A340 are speed limited due to a buffet problem.  Basically,
>they told me that the wing had been a common design between the A330/340
>and not tuned for the placement of either two or four engines.  The speed
>limit they were quoting was .78M!

Interesting.  A couple of weeks ago, I was at a bookstore and I came
across an article on Airbus/Boeing competition in the Far Eastern
Economic Review.  In the article, it mentioned Boeing marketing people
was promoting that the long-range B777 could take an hour less than the
A340 on very long trips.  However, the reporter said based on the
data provided by the manufacturers, the difference should only be
15 to 20 minutes.  Wonder who is not telling the truth?

I'm really intrigued by the "disappearance" of the A330 (that's why I
can't stop blabbering, and please excuse me for blabbering ;-).  Three of
the four airlines that helped the launch of the B777-300 are also A330
operators (Cathay Pacific, Thai, and Korean).  The A330-400X was on the
table long before the B777-300.  Only Cathay was mentioned in the press
that it was interested in the -400X in the early stage.  Why Airbus
couldn't get any of them to commit to the -400X?  (I think the answer
is the -400X is too small, and does not have long enough range.)  Also, I
briefly checked some references, I believe the A330 has lost nearly 30
orders since its peak, that's about one-third of its current backlog.

--
  H Andrew Chuang   chuanga@iia2.org