Re: Rear Engined Aircraft

From:         shevell@leland.stanford.edu (Richard Shevell)
Date:         04 Jan 95 00:40:58

drinkard@bcstec.ca.boeing.com (Terrell D. Drinkard) wrote:

> Well, I don't want to argue abstruse technical definitions with you (mostly
> because they differ from company to company).  However, studies have shown
> that 3 degrees is about all that the cabin crew will tolerate, and that is
> what we design to, along with the aero group's demand for additional cheap
> lift.  The floor is NOT level in cruise.  Check it out next time you fly,
> but you may need to bring something like a carpenter's level with you.

Not only definitions but design policies differ from company to company.
At Douglas we usually designed for a level floor.  After the increased
emphasis on fuel economy in the 70's, many aircraft flew at a higher lift
coefficient than the original design assumed so that the floors often had a
positive angle on cruise.
--
Richard Shevell
Email: shevell@leland.stanford.edu