Re: ATC on passengers' headsets

From:         uakoops@aol.com (UAKoops)
Date:         27 Aug 95 14:37:16

>I'd appreciate watching a discussion among the more informed and
>professional members of this group along the lines of:
>
>1. What is the prevailing attitude among the airlines to allowing
>   passengers to listen to ATC?  I can't believe that it is a security
>   exposure, given the prevalence of air band radios on the ground.
>2. What do pilots themselves think?

I have also enjoyed listening to ATC on the headsets, mostly on United
(channel 9 on most planes). Lately on a number of flights this was turned
off. I recently had a First Officer flying home off duty sitting next to
me on a flight and I asked him about this. He said that it was because
lawyers were taping the conversations and then suing the pilots if the
plane hit turbulence or such, claiming the crew should have been warned
and using the tapes as evidence. Maybe that's what they meant by security?
:)

UAKoops