Re: 747 fuel consumption question

From:         Pete Finlay <pete@meads.demon.co.uk>
Date:         27 Aug 95 14:37:14

In article: <airliners.1995.1276@ohare.Chicago.COM>
K.G.A.Lewis@sussex.ac.uk (Ken Lewis) writes:

> Ted Pleavin (pleavin@HK.Super.NET) wrote:
> : At T/O fuel burn is about 20,000 kg/hr total at sea level on an
> : average engine set of Rolls Royce RB 211 at max B2 thrust.

> It is (perhaps) interesting to note that the three answers for fuel
> burn were 9 tonnes, 16 tonnes and 20 tonnes per hour at T/O.  Is the
> variation really this large?

Sorry, I should have made it clear. The 747-136 with P&W engines use 9
tonnes per hour EACH on T.O., for a total of about 36 tonnes per hour.
Of course, that power is only on for between 3 and 5 minutes, hence a
fuel burn on T.O. of about 2 to 3 tonnes.

OK?
--
Pete Finlay             ##   pete@meads.demon.co.uk
Boeing 747 Flight Engineer for British Airways