Re: B737 Hush Kits

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         17 Aug 95 04:58:52

>I have noticed this, though it doesnt appear to be very noticable
>in United's trim. The 737-300/500s have a forward lavatory and
>bulkhead between the entrance and the beginning of first class,
>the 737-200s lack both.

The -300s, at least, didn't have the galley (not lav) and bulkhead
between the 1L door and seats 1AB when delivered.  I think the -500s
all came in that config, and the -300s have been (or are being) re-
configured.  I suspect it has more to do witht the longer sectors
these planes fly than balance.

>Otherwise the passenger layouts are quite similar 8 1st class,
>approximately 90 (88 vs 94) in coach.

In UA trim, coach seating is ...

    100 on the -500
    101 on the -200
    118 on the -300

The -300s were 120 in back, but the FAA made 'em take out the window
seats at the exit row (10) a year or so ago.

>One thing I do notice is that 737-200 are used for short-haul
>flights, where 737-300 and 500s are used for transcontinental
>flights (nonstop SFO-PHL,SJC-ORD,SFO-BWI). Any reasons?

United actually has two different types of 737-200 -- 45 -222 models
which they bought in the late 1960s and into the 1970s, plus another
24 -291 Advanced models (actually the first two are -2A1 Advanced)
which they picked up from Frontier in 1988.  Some of the -222s have
extra fuel tanks which give them close to 2,000 nm range, but all of
the -222s seem to be scheduled for under 1,000 nm segments these days.
I'm not sure about the -291/-2A1 Advanceds.  In any case, it's likely
because the newer models can fly further on a lot less fuel, so the
old 737s are kept on the shorter routes where cruise fuel burn isn't
as significant.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com