Re: B737 Hush Kits

From:         tim@me.rochester.edu (Tim Takahashi)
Date:         17 Aug 95 04:58:52

>>A question that I've not heard answered is whether the 737-200 can either
>>be refurbished to a -300 or otherwise fitted with fanjets ...

>You probably want to ask about the -500, which is the same length as
>the -200 whereas the -300 is stretched roughly ten feet.  In any case,
>the heavier engines of the newer models, and especially their forward
>position, necessitated the repositioning of the wing further back on
>the fuselage to maintain a reasonable CG.

I have noticed this, though it doesnt appear to be very noticable
in United's trim. The 737-300/500s have a forward lavatory and
bulkhead between the entrance and the beginning of first class,
the 737-200s lack both. Otherwise the passenger layouts are
quite similar 8 1st class, approximately 90 (88 vs 94) in coach.

One thing I do notice is that 737-200 are used for short-haul
flights, where 737-300 and 500s are used for transcontinental
flights (nonstop SFO-PHL,SJC-ORD,SFO-BWI). Any reasons?

I presume the passenger layout relative to the main wing spar
is held constant for CG reasons.

-tim