Re: landing flaps

From:         mmcevill@mitre.org (Michael A. McEvilley)
Date:         17 Aug 95 04:58:51

In article <airliners.1995.1219@ohare.Chicago.COM>, susanle@ix.netcom.com
(Susan Leibowitz ) wrote:

> Is it unusual to not extend the wing flaps until after the landing gear
> has been deployed?
>
> When I was coming into LAX the other day on a 737, we were cleared to
> land (I was listening on the headphones to ATC), when the gear was
> deployed....and then the flap were extended.  I wanted to ask the
> pilots but they never came out of the cockpit.
>
> thanks...from a slightly scared flier

In general, the maximum gear extension speed is higher than the maximum
flap extension speed.  If the approach is "expedited", the landing gear
makes for a great speed brake,  and it makes sense to lower the gear and
then to get the flaps as the airspeed drops into flap extension range.
There was nothing dangerous about what happended.

Interestingly, last week on a 757 into O'hare (and I also was listening to
ATC), we were approaching at 170 knots with flaps about 5 or 10 degrees,
gear up.  I was watching the trailing edge of the wing when Tower cleared
us to land.  About 5 seconds later, the flaps began to extend further, and
then they suddenly reversed.  The next thing I heard was the gear coming
down.  Somebody up front grapped the wrong lever!!!   After we landed, I
was gonna rib 'em about that, but by the time I got to the cockpit those
guys were probably on the bus to the hotel!

michael