Re: B737 Hush Kits

From:         Don Stokes <Don.Stokes@vuw.ac.nz>
Date:         14 Aug 95 03:43:32

In article <airliners.1995.1180@ohare.chicago.com> you write:

>BTW.  After spending some time living near Wellington Airport in New
>Zealand, I can testify to one thing.  The 737's with Hush Kits, while
>better, are far from quiet!!!!

A bit of background: Air NZ's B737 fleet consists entirely of -200s, and
the company claims there's no justification for upgrading the fleet to
more modern aircraft.  (Ansett NZ also started up with (leased) -200s but
quickly upgraded to BAe146s, citing noise as a major issue and winning
lots of friends in the process.)

Wellington Airport is the busiest domestic airport in NZ, due to its central
location and the fact Wellington is the national capital.  Wellington is
also very hilly, and places to put airports are few and far between.
The current runway was built basically by pushing a hill out into the sea.
The airport is located in a residential area; there are houses within
200m of the runway for a good deal of its length.  Understandably, the
noise of the -200s is a contentious issue.

A question that I've not heard answered is whether the 737-200 can either
be refurbished to a -300 or otherwise fitted with fanjets to replace the
noisy rock^H^H^H^Hpure jets found on the -200.  Are the hushkits the only
option short of complete replacement of the aircraft?

--
Don Stokes, Network Manager, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand.
don@vuw.ac.nz(work) don@zl2tnm.gen.nz(home) +64 4 495-5052 Fax+64 4 471-5386