identifying engines by sound

From:         wakefiel@access5.digex.net (doug wakefield)
Date:         08 Aug 95 02:18:26

Recently on a trip to Florida, I travel down and back to DC on 757s.  The
sound at takeoff was very different. I know this subject has been covered
before but would like just a quick refresher.
The engines going done had a very distingctive medium to low frequency,
rather loud hum during takoff and climb out.
I've heard these on Airbuses.  The return was lacking that hum.

By the way, I'd be interested in any pilot comments on landing at
Orlando. I've gone in there many times, and without exception have had
smoother landings there than at any other airport. Is it my imagination
or is Orlando kind to pilots.
doug wakefield
wakefiel@tmn.com