Re: airplane fuel question

From:         turner12@llnl.gov (Robert E. Turner)
Date:         08 Aug 95 02:14:42

In article <airliners.1995.1138@ohare.Chicago.COM>, ztomcich@osf1.gmu.edu
(ZACHARY R. TOMCICH) wrote:
> a friend of mine and i got in a tiny trivial argument over the content of
> airplane fuel.  I always thought it was a very pure version of gasoline.
> My friend thinks its more along the lines of crude kerosine.

What kind of "airplane"? Jet engines, including turboprops (all properly
called "gas turbines") run on a fuel(JET-A) similar to kerosine (although
in fact they are capable of running on almost anything that burns).  Piston
engined airplanes, like small private aircraft or WWII vintage fighters or
old DC-3's,etc., all run on gasoline similar to auto gas. ("80" motor
octane av gas is in fact very similar to auto gas, except for having
somewhat lower vapor pressure.  "100LL av gas" is just like "80" except
that it has lots ot tetra ethyl lead added to raise its octane rating, for
use in high compression engines.)  Aviation gas is no more "pure" than car
gas. By the way, the LL stands for "low lead" which is something of a joke
since it has more lead in it than car gas ever did -- just that it replaced
"100" which had even more lead!