Re: airplane fuel question

From:         alkrug@wave.sheridan.wy.us (Al Krug)
Date:         08 Aug 95 02:14:41

ZACHARY R. TOMCICH <ztomcich@osf1.gmu.edu> wrote:
> a friend of mine and i got in a tiny trivial argument over the content of
> airplane fuel.  I always thought it was a very pure version of gasoline.
> My friend thinks its more along the lines of crude kerosine.

You didn't say whether you're talking about piston engines (light, private
aircraft, Cessnas, Pipers, etc) or jet/turbo props.  Piston AvGas is just
gasoline that is very carefully handled to prevent contamination with
water etc. It has its own additives for octane boosting and color
identification. (red,blue,green purple) based on octane rating.  Jet fuel
(including turbo props) is basically kerosene handled and modified in the
same way.
AK