Re: airplane fuel question

From:         wb8foz@netcom.com (David Lesher)
Date:         08 Aug 95 02:14:40

ztomcich@osf1.gmu.edu (ZACHARY R. TOMCICH) writes:

>a friend of mine and i got in a tiny trivial argument over the content of
>airplane fuel.  I always thought it was a very pure version of gasoline.
>My friend thinks its more along the lines of crude kerosine.

JET-A is pure kerosine. On the pipeline I used to work on, a batch
arrived, went to local holding tanks and sat. After ?24?  hours, a
sample went to the lab where it had to pass 15-odd tests before it
could be released to the airport. At the airport, it was filtered
(twice!) before release to the fueler trucks and hydrant system.

I don't recall it ever failing, but if it did, it would have been
pumped over to the {much larger} #1 Kerosine tankage. When we needed,
in a big hurry, 25-odd clean tank trucks to haul Jet-A, they were
given half loads (so they'd slosh) of Jet-A, and that was delivered
to Conrail as "Kerosine". Only then the trucks could be used to haul
Jet-A.

Note that JP4 that the military uses is JetA plus all kinds of nasty
light end stuff such as naptha...