Re: airplane fuel question

From:         ehahn@bass.mitre.org (Ed Hahn)
Date:         08 Aug 95 02:14:40

In article <airliners.1995.1138@ohare.Chicago.COM> ztomcich@osf1.gmu.edu (ZACHARY R. TOMCICH) writes:

   a friend of mine and i got in a tiny trivial argument over the content of
   airplane fuel.  I always thought it was a very pure version of gasoline.
   My friend thinks its more along the lines of crude kerosine.  Who is
   right?  There is a free movie at stake for this one.  Thanks for your
   help.

----
You are both correct.  Aviation gasoline for piston engine aircraft is
essentially high-quality, high octane gas (currently still using
tetraethyl lead as an octane booster).  100 Low Lead is the most
common variety, at somewhere around $1.50 per gallon US.

Most commercial jet aircraft use Jet A, which is very similar to
kerosene in content, cost, smell, etc.  Jet A is about $0.60 per
gallon or so.

I guess you go to the movie Dutch.  :-)

ed